Tirimoana School is an Enviro School. At Tirimoana School we are committed to a partnership between students, staff and parents to develop environmental practices in the school community. We are also committed to developing an awareness of environmental and conservation issues. We aim to develop a sense of inclusion and respect for each other and our environment, and to acknowledge the unique species found in our Waitakere area. As part of our Enviro Schools programme we will develop sustainable use of resources.
Tirimoana School is registered with the Auckland Council Enviro Schools Programme. Each year we have an Enviro Group with representatives from children, staff and the community.
- In 2009 the school was awarded Green Gold status.
- In 2013 the school was reaffirmed with Beyond Green Gold status.
- The school achieved Green Gold status in 2009 and reaffirmed this in 2013 with a Beyond Green-Gold status.
- 2003 Bronze Enviro Award.
- 2005 Silver Enviro Award.
- 2009 Green Gold Award
- 2013 Beyond Green-Gold Award
Our enviro-ambassadors work hard. They regularly talk about our enviro philosophy to any visitors who come to our school.
- Building insect tracking stations to determine the types of insects inhabiting our school
- Continue to maintain and renew existing areas such as Te Rakau Whenua and our Enviro-garden.
- Monitor the use of water and educate new students about water and power conservation as well as continuing careful disposal of waste at school.
- Encourage more and more families towards zero waste – less packaging in school lunches; use beeswax wrappers and small reusable containers for storing lunch items
- Continue to be a Travelwise School and reduce road traffic at school by encouraging Walking School Bus routes and our regular ‘Walking Wednesday’, supported by Auckland Transport
- Continue to plant and tend vegetables and worms to enable harvesting of fresh produce and educate learners on the benefits of healthy eating
- Grow leadership using our enviro-ambassador programme. Our enviro-group is now about 25 strong. In 2022 we have 1 group of Year 4 – 6 learners working alongside each other with Mrs Graham and our Enviro Teacher Aide, Vix.
- Continue to learn about the unique species found in Aotearoa, their conservation status and adaptability in the 21st century
- Continue to beautify our outside environment with sculptures, murals and serene spaces to think ponder and learn.
- Self-review environmental programmes at school, enrich the understanding of teachers and students and demonstrate this in term planning.
- Travelwise Park and Walk (see map below)